New to Linux.

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

New to Linux.

Postby itx-weather » Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:13 pm

Hello,

I'm new to Linux and am a little bewildered as to where to make a start on learning how to install, configure and generally use a Linux distro. Can anyone offer any suggestions as to where guides can be found on the internet for installing and configuring a Linux distro such as Mandrake (or any other Linux distro that's recommended to Linux newbies such as myself). Does LXF have an issue that's dedicated to Linux newbies?.

Thank you.
Kind Regards.
itx-weather

RE: New to Linux.

Postby ggsinclair » Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:51 am

When I first started learning Linux I have to admit I did find it difficult to get started as I could not find much help in laymans terms, which is what a newbie needs. There are some good publications out there now, such as Linux for Dummies which are very helpful.

Also, you mention Mandrake (or whatever it is called now!!). Do you have the boxed version? If so it will probably have a user manual with it which will provide you with guidance.

Mandrake, along with a few other distros, have become much more user friendly in recent years. You should have no real problems installing it as it takes you through the installation procedure and can do many things automatically, should you wish it to do so.

If you do have problems with anything just ask - chances are someone else has had the same problem.

Good luck!

Gordon
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
ggsinclair
LXF regular

RE: New to Linux.

Postby towy71 » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:20 am

Welcome to the wonderful world of linux!
I notice that you are from Wales, if you need help there are people in Lugs in Wales who are more than willing to help you, details can be found in the other websites to visit menu on the left hand of this page.
Finally in answer to the first question Mandrake is pretty good for newbies and for a good guide look here:
http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/install.shtml
HTH
Dick
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby agnostic » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:54 pm

BSc in computing (including UNIX) but I nearly gave up finding how to post here...

I would love to abandon Windows for ever, but Linux does its utmost to disuade new adepts. Were Linux-Format to offer immediately accessible solutions to the most obvious issues, it would shine. Maybe they are there, but not easily found...

Main initial issue : difficulty in finding forums, links etc for Linux drivers on abandoning Windows. This must be a MAJOR issue for many, but is not prioritised.

I will investigate Linux further, but fear I may end up thrown to
the MS wolves, not because Linux is not competitive, but because its experts obfuscate excruciatingly.

Hence : I am Agnostic
agnostic

Postby Dutch_Master » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:00 am

Ah, but if you're skilled in Unix, I (for one) have no problem with you switching to FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD or any of the concurrent Unix flavours out there :)

Also, with an experience in Unix, you should know better then to expect Linux to be a Win-OS rip-off with comparable attitudes :roll: It also means you already know the Linux community expects users to investigate and find solutions on their own, not being told to 'point-and-click', right?... :P

As for finding Linux related forums, you either haven't looked very hard, or you weren't wearing your glasses, as there are several highly frequented Linux forums out there: next to LXF (admittedly having a lull in activity now, but the core is still here ;)) there's LinuxQuestions (and it's sister site AndroidQuestions), the Linux Journal and -Magazine forums to name a few larger ones. (there's plenty more, but mostly aimed at a specific distro, like Ubuntu, Mint, Slackware or any of the other rpm based distro's)

Registration was a doodle, back then (it may have changed now, dunno), unless you're browsing with Lynx. Or Vim :P
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby agnostic » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:37 am

Thanks for the initial response. I am "collecting" useful links, so appreciate those you mention. Others most welcome - especially relating to common transfer and driver issues. There is certainly a wealth of information and support out there, but it can be highly time-consuming to search it all out. My observations relate to the initial hurdles when switching to Linux, which by all reports are the main reason why even recent distros are still only making gradual inroads into the monopoly. I will probably opt for dual boot on a redundant PC before commencing total extirpation exercises...
agnostic

Postby Ram » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:22 pm

What are these "especially relating to common transfer and driver issues. " you mention?

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:25 pm

Ram wrote:What are these "especially relating to common transfer and driver issues. " you mention?

They stop you from reading forum posts until around seven years after they are first made. ;)
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Return to Help!