Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NIS / LDAP Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gax7497

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: NIS / LDAP Question Reply with quote

Hey all!

Long time lurker, first time poster...

I was teaching Linux last night and we covered NIS and LDAP. Since I am not a system admin (other than for my own computers) I don't have much experience in this area. It seemed to me that the textbook was saying that NIS is older and Linux-only whereas LDAP is newer and can be used in a heterogeneous environment. The big red flag to me was when I saw that NIS doesn't have any encryption but LDAP does...

If the above is true... Is NIS used anywhere anymore aside from legacy systems? In the workplace, if a new system was being created, would LDAP be the best choice?

Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated!

-- Here's to Life, Linux and the Pursuit of Happiness!
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK, they are just different.
NIS is for unix network authentication, LDAP is for directory based authentication.
LDAP is a common directory based sytem, and Active Directory (Microsoft) or NDIS (Novell) for example, are just different implementations.

dizwell

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's definitely *not* the case that NIS is "Linux only": it was originally called 'yellow pages' and was invented by Sun. So it shipped with Solaris, at least. It was then ported to just about every Unix out there, including Linux.

It was invented long before LDAP, but could reasonably be seen much as Microsoft's Active Directory is: a proprietary implementation of a network directory service. Obviously, NIS is no longer proprietary, but it certainly started out as one company's way of dealing with distributed, replicated network authentication and identification.

LDAP is a more modern, standards-compliant way of achieving the same thing, but it is certainly a subtler, richer way of doing it -and does include encryption baked-in. NIS+ has built-in encryption but is trickier to get working than the original NIS.

I doubt anyone would plan on implementing NIS anymore, and NIS+ would likely also not be considered.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: