ELF file format details

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

ELF file format details

Postby bluebomber » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:01 am

I was considering how nice it would be to have a special expose on the details of the ELF file format. It's vital for everything on a Linux system, because even programs written in interpreted languages (like all the shells) ultimately have to launch an ELF interpreter executable.

I would love a good, thorough technical article on the details of an ELF file, and with a few good references where readers can go and get more details. Maybe even make a series out of it.
Long live the four software freedoms!
bluebomber

Postby towy71 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:44 am

Is this the thing you're on about, just the sort of thing made for wikipedia :wink:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby Rhakios » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:31 pm

Crumbs! I know my camera has millions of pixies, but now you're telling me that every file has an elf? What with trolls on forums and daemons on BSD, I'm left wondering what other magical beasties might turn up. :shock:

:D
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Yes, just... yes

Postby bluebomber » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:41 am

Yes, to both of you. It would be great to see an article (or multiple!) on ELF files, don't you think?
Long live the four software freedoms!
bluebomber

Postby pastychomper » Mon May 14, 2012 12:59 pm

Rhakios wrote:Crumbs! I know my camera has millions of pixies, but now you're telling me that every file has an elf? What with trolls on forums and daemons on BSD, I'm left wondering what other magical beasties might turn up. :shock:

Well I've seen a few zombie processes over the years, not to mention the various wizards I've worked with. I'm even old enough to remember getting excited about the Hobbit, but never actually saw one (I don't remember if they could be connected to a Tolkein Ring network, or not).
pastychomper

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs