Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Released

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Released

Postby nordle » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:02 pm

A may have missed another post on this, but it was released on Thursday. Given its Ubuntu and its an LTS release, surprised there is not more buzz, maybe the Unity fallout...

Anyway, all this rain must have caused water to get into my ears and short my two brain cells. Rather than waiting a couple of months for the bugs to get worked out, I started the upgrade last night, just 1 day after release.

Getting reckless in my old age :)

Code: Select all
do-release-upgrade

That was it, that was about as complicated as it got. The 40k download speed meant it took 6 hours, but that just gave it a retro 90's feel. Woke this morning, everything works. A couple of screenfocus issues with Rythmbox not coming to the front when clicked on the launcher, but thats about it. Oh and had to reset the auto-hide on the launcher, but no biggy.

So, that's ehh that then.....what now.....might have to do the hoovering. :)

So what you waiting for, get upgrading people! Do you feel lucky?
I think, therefore I compile
nordle
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:16 pm

Obviously, everyone has been too busy watching the slow progress of the download bar to post on this topic, or else they have been running update on old versions of Ubuntu and have found that too to be agonisingly slow.
I have found the latter to be the case, there were some Firefox updates for Ubuntu 10.04 and they took an age to download. Having been stung this way before, I remembered to let update run after I had done my day's browsing. :roll:
I've just fetched the 32 and 64 bit isos of Xubuntu with Bittorrent and that was very quick, about 80% of the maximum speed of my internet connection. But I'm not going to risk installing (as there will be other software I want to get) until things have quietened down a bit.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby SpecialStuff » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:27 pm

I installed a daily build the other day and liked it a lot. Had a number of issues though that I'd hoped to see ironed out for release, and was a bit disappointed that on trying the final out they were still there. Turns out the current Nvidia drivers are causing the problems, so when they bring a new one out I'll give it a another go.
SpecialStuff

Postby nordle » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:16 pm

I may have spoken too soon. :(

When flicking between audio players, quickly the sound stops working if choosing to play another track, both VLC, movie player and Rhythmbox.

I have to say, I'm unlikely to be doing that again exact set of steps again though, so am not too fussed.

What I am fussed about, is after a reboot, finding I cant login.
Type in password, press enter, and nothing. Can still use mouse to click the shutdown/reboot. But the User/Password boxes appear locked. Waited a minute and re-booted. Same issue.

Deleted .Xauthority from another terminal (alt+F2), re-booted and it appears to be ok now.....for how long...

I've got NVidia card, not sure if that is related or not.
nordle
LXF regular

Postby bobthebob1234 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:01 pm

Hooray for regression!
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby reklan » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:18 pm

rang the update to 12.04 on my xubuntu laptop.. took 3 hours to download and upgrade.. after the upgrade the new Bluebird theme didn't work correctly and Clicking on the time/date didn't bring up the calendar as it should...

Decided to backup my data and do a clean install.

everything works as it should..
Don't Dream it....Be it..
reklan

Postby bobthebob1234 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:25 pm

I downloaded both 32bit and 64 bit iso before someone else who was updating even got 10%...

Then installed 64bit on virtual box and the side launcher thing doesn't appear when you move the mouse to the left. Many lols were had that day... :roll:
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby nordle » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:44 pm

Well, I can't get to my desktop.....am posting this from Win7, oh the shame. :oops:

I'd like to clarify my earlier enthusiasm. While doing the upgrade was as simple as one command, what happens after may be more time consuming.

For the few hours I had a 12.04 desktop, it was very nice :)
nordle
LXF regular

Postby bobthebob1234 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:48 pm

I never do updates. Try a clean install
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:32 am

Downloaded it, not got around to trying it out yet, too busy sanding the bathroom door,
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:09 am

Well installed it in a Vbox, seems to work fine.
Currently installing the Server version in another VM, interesting that there is a multiple install option to set up a MAAS server.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby shaddack » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:57 pm

I just upgraded my Asus Netbook from 11.10 to 12.04. Worked ok. Trying it out right now. The only flaw I've seen so far was that there was nog background picture after reboot. Just a black screen. There was no problem to set a background picture manually though.
shaddack

Postby Xelous » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:03 pm

I reckon this is what has my gnome-session-fallback install all screwed up - check out my post about "Unity Old look" under the Help! section :lol:
Xelous

Postby leke » Tue May 01, 2012 11:31 pm

A few days ago, my wife's friend gave me her old laptop :o It's pretty good so I installed 12.04 on it and I'm very pleased with the latest effort by Ubuntu.
There is one bug (I think) where it doesn't shut down if you have more than one account set up -- or maybe it's because there is a guest account set up.
leke
LXF regular

Postby SpecialStuff » Wed May 02, 2012 9:22 pm

Those of you who have it installed; how are you finding performance generally? I had a pretty poor time with it, and don't understand what's up. I found the CPU would spike just opening System Settings or Firefox, which would then "go grey" before taking an age to close down. There were a few glitches with the Unity dash, which would often flash a black background behind it when clicking it between minimise and maximise. I also found it just fairly slow in everyday use. In comparison, Gnome Shell doesn't seem to eat up anywhere near as much power, and is almost a light DE next to it.

I'd read about the Nvidia problems as I mentioned earlier, but now I'm not sure if that is what's causing the issues, as I don't seem to have any problems with the same driver when using Gnome Shell.

I've just backed up my current openSUSE install anyway, so I think I may give Ubuntu another shot. I want Ubuntu to be awesome, but it often lets me down. Everyone seems to be saying on the forums how much better performance is than 11.10, but that was excellent for me where this release isn't. :(
SpecialStuff

Next

Return to Discussion