Linux and Valve's Steam

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Linux and Valve's Steam

Postby Brian Hunter » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:17 pm

Apparently Steam is being ported to Linux.

We have heard it many times before, but Phoronix are saying it's the real deal, and they spoke to Gabe Newell who apparently hates Windows 8, and loves Linux.

There has been unconfirmed chat that valve would be releasing their own console hardware, but that has been denied,at least in the short term.

Could Valve be looking into Linux as an OS for the hardware they may or may not be releasing? Perhaps they want to make available a Steam client for Android phones and tablets for those indie games that don't require beefy hardware?

Also, if you are looking for a job in Linux development, now may be the time to fire off your CV to Vavle!
Brian Hunter

Postby PCNetSpec » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:57 pm

Sod Valve/Steam .. stick with Desura.

A bit political maybe, just my opinion ;)

Another one is "use a games console for games, and Linux for serious computing".

But then I'm full of 'opinions' that obviously should be freely ignored ;)
(at least that's what the missus seems to think)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'... logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
Linux in the UK
The Linux Community Forum
PCNetSpec
LXF regular

Postby reklan » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:12 pm

I would Love steam to come to Linux..

I would also love to stick with Desura, if it had the same quality and quantity of games.

I could even put up with the lack of games if Desura, didn't keep crashing..
Don't Dream it....Be it..
reklan

Postby Brian Hunter » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:27 am

PCNetSpec wrote:Another one is "use a games console for games, and Linux for serious computing".

Why should there be arbitrary limits? I prefer 'Use Linux for what ails you'.

I've been gaming on a computer since I was a youngling. From my Commodore 64, to my Amiga 1200, and then PC's after that. I would love to be able to do it in my favourite free OS, and any opportunity to do so is, for me, welcomed. Most of my friends have dabbled in Linux after my evangelising, but most don’t stick because they can’t play the games they want to, and over 90% of those are games available over Steam.

Getting modern games on Linux would be huge for its uptake I think, and while I don’t think that numbers is the be all and end all, selfishly getting more people using Linux will drive more Linux inclusion in the computing world. Linux being great for web surfing and enterprise servers is cool, but it means nothing to someone who wants to play Battlefield 3 as well as surf YouTube.
Brian Hunter

Postby Xelous » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:17 pm

Did you just say Steam on Linux... I'm wet... yep... Definitely moist.... :D
Xelous

Postby PCNetSpec » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:57 pm

Why should there be arbitrary limits? I prefer 'Use Linux for what ails you'.

Yup, an opinion that's just as valid as mine :)

I *did* add:

I'm full of 'opinions' that obviously should be freely ignored

;)

Heh .. my opinions aren't even necessarily convictions and may change at the drop of a hat, isn't that the nature of an opinion ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'... logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
Linux in the UK
The Linux Community Forum
PCNetSpec
LXF regular

Postby Ram » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:55 pm

More news on Steam on Valve

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby bobthebob1234 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:54 pm

YAY! Progress!
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby Brian Hunter » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:33 am

Aye, it's awesome news. Hopefully we will see many of the more indie titles making games available via steam. I don't see non-Valve AAA games being ported over, at least not anytime soon, but it's still brilliant.
Brian Hunter

Postby Brian Hunter » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:40 am

Also check out the top 10 ubuntu app downloads for June.

Ubuntu might not have a large desktop percentage share, but though of us who do use it want to play games.
Brian Hunter

Postby heiowge » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:32 pm

Steam might be coming to Linux, but it was working just great this afternoon. :D

My hd is on it's way out. It won't boot into windows anymore. However... it was quite happy to boot Fallout New Vegas under wine from my windows partition. The only bad thing is that it wouldn't load my old saves. I had to start over.
i5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asus H87M-E motherboard, 8GB DDR3, 2GB DDR5 nVidia card, 2x500GB Seagate hd, Coolermaster 750W PSU running Mint 17.1 MATE and Win7

HP mini, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 17 MATE
heiowge
LXF regular

Return to Discussion