Strange result...

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Strange result...

Postby heiowge » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:19 pm

I've been getting this for about 6 months now after every upgrade on both Mint 12 and Mint 11.

The following packages have been kept back:
linux-generic linux-headers-generic linux-image-generic
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.

Any idea why it's not upgrading those 3 packages? :?
i5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asus H87M-E motherboard, 8GB DDR3, 2GB DDR5 nVidia card, 2x500GB Seagate hd, Coolermaster 750W PSU running Mint 16 MATE and Win7

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby bobthebob1234 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:20 pm

I think you need to do
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

to upgrade them. I they are just updated kernels, and some people may not want to update their kernel.
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:05 pm

That usually happens because you have a package installed that depends on an earlier version of the packages being held back, or is incompatible with the newer version.

try
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

that will flush the apt database and update you to the latest versions without upgrading the distro.
It may also give you an error message explaining why it has not updated particular packages
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby heiowge » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:05 pm

bobthebob1234 wrote:I think you need to do
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

to upgrade them. I they are just updated kernels, and some people may not want to update their kernel.

Does this work effectively in Mint? I know they frown on that sort of thing in the Mint camp, where it's standard fayre on Ubuntu. I assume it works, but does that mean I'll still be on Mint 12 or will I be on Mint 13 RC?

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:try
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

That's what I do that gives me the error! :lol:
i5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asus H87M-E motherboard, 8GB DDR3, 2GB DDR5 nVidia card, 2x500GB Seagate hd, Coolermaster 750W PSU running Mint 16 MATE and Win7

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby bobthebob1234 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:41 pm

heiowge wrote:Does this work effectively in Mint? I know they frown on that sort of thing in the Mint camp, where it's standard fayre on Ubuntu. I assume it works, but does that mean I'll still be on Mint 12 or will I be on Mint 13 RC?

You'll still be on Mint 12, just with a different kernel (new drivers, etc). See http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2 how to upgrade to a newer release. It involves changing the package repositories.

heiowge wrote:That's what I do that gives me the error!

Its not an error, just a message saying they won't be upgraded :D
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby ajgreeny » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:42 pm

By default Mint has never updated the kernel, nor other packages that could give potential for problems to the system GUI.

If you want to do so, you can set the system to use all five of the update categories of packages. Just go to settings in the mint-update-manager and change the option there, then every package available will be updated.
Xubuntu 12.04 user, and loving it!
ajgreeny
LXF regular

Return to Help!