BBC iPlayer Installation

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby towy71 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:25 pm

Rich_b21 wrote:There is more from terminal after I entered sudo "apt-get update" would you like it all?
No not really! That has nothing to do with get-iplayer

https://github.com/jjl/get_iplayer/wiki/Documentation explains how to use the various get-iplayer commands to download things from the BBC.

I know it might seem hard but sometimes there is no alternative to reading through the documentation, if it exists :roll: :wink:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

iplayer desktop

Postby darkhorizon » Fri May 11, 2012 2:08 pm

I'm using 12.04 just upgraded from 11.10 which had Iplayer desktop installed. Now that I've upgraded with a clean install I cant download iplayer desktop.

What I did do was install Adobe air by downloading it from adobe archives. looked up its properties and made it executable in properties/permissions

then did

Code: Select all
sudo su

put in my pass to get root access, and to save time rather than change directories I just opened downloads and dragged and dropped the Adobe air bin file onto terminal hit enter and went to install, I had a bit of a problem here with 12.04 but discovered I needed a keyring in order to allow Air to install so in goes.

Code: Select all
 sudo ln -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libgnome-keyring.so.0 /usr/lib/libgnome-keyring.so.0

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libgnome-keyring.so.0.2.0 /usr/lib/libgnome-keyring.so.0.2.0

then another quick drag and drop of the air bin file and it installed.

That was the easy bit, I should point out drag and drop of files onto Terminal are an often overlooked option..

Anyway I then went to install my favourite Radio player and BBC iplayer desktop. Iplayer desktop just hangs on the web page nothing appears except the little timer and then it just halts and the radio player although I downloaded as a deb. Air will not install it it said the package was not of a good enough quality???

I have another laptop that has 11.10 on it and iplayer installed already, I went to the install page for iplayer desktop to test it out and got the same problem the install window does not show and the application just hangs.

so as a stop gap measure I copied the application files from the laptop and transferred them to a folder on my main computer made a couple of short-cuts on the desktop for them and launched, since Air only provides the environment for them to operate, they worked without installing. However, iplayer desktop works for live TV and Radio but can't download.

Is there a solution to the iplayer desktop install problem?
darkhorizon

Previous

Return to Help!