Smooth myth tv streaming over wifi...

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Smooth myth tv streaming over wifi...

Postby bobthebob1234 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:56 pm

So I have my myth box in the other room where the aerial is, and a wireless bridge made up of two openwrt boxes, a Linksys WRT54G which the mythbox is connected to (100mb) and a TP-Link TL-WR1043N which I am connected to (gigabit).

This is fine for steaming from the web interface (using the ASX steam), but if I fire up a virtual box instance of the myth tv client, watching live tv is reallllly jolty. Sometimes it is fine, but if I change channel it goes jolty again, and I can't work out why.

Any suggestions (apart from run a network cable or powerline things (they are on separate breakers) that I could try?

Cheers
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:35 am

Replace the slowest item, the WRT54G.
I could not get good streaming over wifi until I put an n card in my netbook. ( I have an n Router).
n is much better than g, it is not just the speed, data throughput is more reliable.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby bobthebob1234 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:19 pm

OK, anyone know of a good USB wireless N card that is cheap? (I'm a poor student and can't really buy another wireless N router/switch/thing-a-me-bob)

(Oops and works with ubuntu 11.04 (well actually mythbuntu...))
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:37 pm

these tplink ones are very good ( I have used them with customers, but only on Windows):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WN82 ... zone.co.nz

However they get a good write up on Ubuntu

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?fo ... icid=88323
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby bobthebob1234 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:48 pm

Cool, thanks.

I think I know what I will be asking for my birthday then!
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Return to Help!