Ubuntu 11.10

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Ubuntu 11.10

Postby mike0liver » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:21 pm

I recently "upgraded" to Ubuntu 11.10 and can no longer find my way around it or acess my programs or manage my system (e.g. uninstall unwanted software). I was using Version 8 and upgraded to V 9, then didn't use my laptop for a while until I recently installed 11.10 from a disk I was given. Nothing seems to be where it should.

How can I get back to the old setup?

Cheers,

Mike
mike0liver

Postby ajgreeny » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:37 pm

You would need to reinstall the old system, I'm afraid. There is no going back in any simple manner.

However, you could always add another DE such as KDE or XFCE4 to the current 11.10 system and then choose that from the login screen. The old gnome2 desktop has now gone and is not likely to be available at all very soon, so you will need to consider another DE if you can't manage unity.

Try
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install xfce4
for a minimal install of the xfce4 desktop, or
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
if you would rather add everything that is in xubuntu, as opposed to just the DE itself.
Xubuntu 12.04 user, and loving it!
ajgreeny
LXF regular

Postby mike0liver » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:48 am

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm afraid I am no sort of "techy" - my knowledge of Linux in general and Ubuntu in particular is simply that of a user who got fed up with Microsoft. I've no special wish to return to one of the old incarnations of Ubuntu but I would like to have some clue how to use the V 11.10 GUI. Before installing it, I foolishly assumed it would look and work roughly the same as the previous versions.

Your suggestions might well solve my problem if:
1) I could find out how to access a command line interface to input the code you provide
2) I knew what DEs, KDEs and XFCE4 were
3) I knew what installing "everything" in xubuntu entailed

Is xubuntu another incarnation of ubuntu or something completely different? Is there somewhere I can look at xubuntu before I rush off down another blind alley?[/list]
mike0liver

Postby towy71 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:54 pm

mike0liver wrote:1) I could find out how to access a command line interface to input the code you provide
press Alt+F2 and type xterm then press enter ;-)
mike0liver wrote:2) I knew what DEs, KDEs and XFCE4 were
DE means Desktop Environment and KDE, XFCE are examples of them
mike0liver wrote:3) I knew what installing "everything" in xubuntu entailed

Is xubuntu another incarnation of ubuntu or something completely different? Is there somewhere I can look at xubuntu before I rush off down another blind alley?
Xubuntu is Ubuntu with XFCE DE :wink:

http://www.xfce.org/about/screenshots
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby mike0liver » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:06 pm

Thanks again for the explanations. Whilst I was waiting, I took a decision. I found a copy of ubuntu linux 10.04 on disk from a magazine. I also had a recovery disk from the original installation so I decided to roll the laptop back to its original configuration and then decide whether to move on to 10.04 after seeing whatever you might say in response to my simplistic questions.

It was a joy to see the old desktop back again and I'm now going to ask you what I think will be the last question of this topic: In your opinion, should I take the plunge with 10.04 or just upgrade to the last version where the old style desktop is available?

Thanks for all your help.

Mike
mike0liver

Postby nelz » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:23 pm

Neither. Running an old version will become increasingly insecure and difficult. If you don't like Ubuntu's choice of desktop, use a different distro - like Mint or Fedora.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby mike0liver » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:33 pm

It looks like there is a bit of Microsoft emulation going on here: "if you don't like it, go somewhere else". Never thought I'd encounter that attitude in the Linux world. What reassurance do I have that I'll like either Mint or Fedora or that they won't eventually change to something I don't like after I've switched?

I'll persevere with upgrading to Ubuntu Version 10.04 and see what I think. What's is it about Xubuntu's DE that you think might make it preferable to the Ubuntu one?

Sorry - I thought your last response might resolve things for me but it seems I must keep up with the race and not get to feeling comfortable with anything that might strike the tecchies as "old hat" - that's not Red Hat, but Old hat :? )

Cheers,

Mike
mike0liver

Postby towy71 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:47 pm

mike0liver wrote:It looks like there is a bit of Microsoft emulation going on here: "if you don't like it, go somewhere else". Never thought I'd encounter that attitude in the Linux world.
It isn't like that at all, it is just that there are many different Desktop Environments and different distributions use ones;-)
mike0liver wrote:What reassurance do I have that I'll like either Mint or Fedora or that they won't eventually change to something I don't like after I've switched?
We can't give any assurances that they won't mess up what you've got used to, but you can always add any number of DEs. I presume that you like the old paradigm of an easily identifiable menu etc.? Well Mint is a spinoff of Ubuntu that tries to maintain that, they say "Mint12 is like Ubuntu used to be, but better" ;-) http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_lisa_whatsnew.php

As nelz said using that old version of Ubuntu is not a good option as support for it is now coming to an end, best use an up to date distro
Last edited by towy71 on Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby thenudehamster » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:48 pm

There are several flavours of Linux based on Ubuntu, but not using the default Unity interface; personally, I like the interface but not the severely restricted colour scheme which is pretty depressing. I can't think of any offhand which still use Gnome 2 which was the standard up to U9.10 IIRC.

LXF did put a version of Ubuntu 11.0 with the new Gnome 3 DE on one of the recent coverdisks; you might like to try that. There's also Mint; Mint 12 was on a recent disk too. That uses a customised version of Gnome, but there's also the new Cinnamon desktop available on their repository; it's different way of presenting things in a similar way to Gnome 2 but using more efficient techniques - at least that's what they say. I can't tell any difference in speed against Unity, but it is a much brighter and cheerful interface which is now standard on one of my laptops (which also has Unity, Gnome and KDE, which shows how versatile Linux is).

As for the Microsoft 'like or lump it' thought, it's not that way at all. Linux, being open and free, enables anyone to customise it in whichever way suits them. So, if you're not happy with Unity on Ubuntu, install something else. The basic operating system remains the same; all you're changing is the way you interact with it.
Barry H - thenudehamster
(No, it's not about naked pet rodents, it's where I used to live.
Any opinion expressed above is herein warranted to be worth exactly what you paid for it.
thenudehamster

Postby nelz » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:38 pm

mike0liver wrote:It looks like there is a bit of Microsoft emulation going on here: "if you don't like it, go somewhere else".

Not at all. In fact it is the opposite of Microsoft as there are so many choices of distro. If you don't like one, try another.

mike0liver wrote:What reassurance do I have that I'll like either Mint or Fedora or that they won't eventually change to something I don't like after I've switched?

None at all, just like everything else in life. The key difference is that it costs you nothing to try the alternatives. Nor is there anything else stopping you having more than one distro installed at once.

Unity is Ubuntu's baby, Fedora won't be using it and Mint have stated pretty much the same. Even if they do change to something you like, there are plenty of other distros out there - you are never locked in to picking one distro and sticking with it.

mike0liver wrote:Sorry - I thought your last response might resolve things for me but it seems I must keep up with the race and not get to feeling comfortable with anything that might strike the tecchies as "old hat" - that's not Red Hat, but Old hat :? )

As a "techie", I certainly don't consider the alternatives to
unity old hat, I don't like Unity myself. Don't restrict your options just because you used a particular distro before, try alternatives and use what suits you. Change your system to suit you, not the other way round.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:22 pm

All you really need to do is install gnome3 using synaptic (you may have to install synaptic using the software centre), then select "Gnome Classic" at the login screen, and it will be pretty close to what you had before.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby mike0liver » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:02 pm

I installed 10.04 and that sorted out my problem. I can find what I want, adjust my system parameters and generally enjoy Linux again.

Thanks to everyone for helping me on this.

Mike
mike0liver

Return to Help!