Fedora 14 system-config-lvm not working

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Fedora 14 system-config-lvm not working

Postby Cagere » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:23 am

Hi All. The option to run "system-config-lvm" seems to be missing from Administration and does not work from the "Run" facility eitheron a recent installation of Fedora 14(kde). Yumex shows lvm2 as installed which is the same as on Fedora 12 on a different machine which works fine!
There may be a connection to the fact that trying to run "Administration-services" is also broken and trips the "abrt" system reporting a bug in "system-config-services". Any suggestions welcome.

Machine is Athlon X2 260 on Asus M5A78LTE

cagere
Cagere

Postby lok1950 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:45 pm

Have a look in /bin and /sbin and see if you find "system-config-lvm but if I remember correctly It's been depreciated replaced by the Gnome disk tools available in the admin menu which now handles LVM as well as normal partitions.BTW fedora 14 and 12 are kinda long in the tooth and no longer supported no updates or new apps an there repo's will shut down soon.

Enjoy the Choice :)
lok1950
LXF regular

Postby Cagere » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:10 pm

Hi All. Thanks for the comments.I managed to rescue system-config-lvm and add it to the kde Admin list and it seems to work OK. I wanted to use Fed 14 as I had to build a machine for an elderly relative (I'm 73!), and didn't want them to be confused with constant nagging to upgrade. I also wanted to have a similar machine here so that in case of problems I could offer advice over the phone. Their machine is working OK for what they want to do but my one is suffering from various problems including being unable to use system-administration-services or the samba tab or the firewall tab due to a known problem in the distributed files(see bug 800603 for details). I have found ways round most of these and got samba working in spite of the hassles. I think I may well try changing to Fedora 16 in the hope it doesn't have any major gotchas. The machine I am writing this on is running Fed 12 and very reliable. I still have machines running RedHat 8, Fedora Core 5 and MSdos5 and an old Nascom2 (Pre the IBM PC) which still worked when I last tried it!

Cheers Cagere
Cagere

Postby lok1950 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:48 pm

All good reasons Cagere 8) I'm no spring chicken myself the number in my username is my birth year.You might try Centos as I see that you have a preference for Red Hat derived distros.It's the latest version of Red Hat Enterprise with all the branding replaced.They use the same source code and it's a long term support distro.

Enjoy the Choice :)
lok1950
LXF regular

Return to Help!