dvd2usb as described on the DVD; problems!

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

dvd2usb as described on the DVD; problems!

Postby olliegab » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:14 pm

I was trying to use the script 'dvd2usb.sh' as described on the DVD (and in the magazine). The idea is to make an existing ISO file (not located on the DVD, but on my HD) to an IMG file, and then copy it over to a USB stick.
When trying to execute the script nothing happens; and I don't get any error messages. If I try to click on the file icon from the GUI a windows appears but closes down again, in a fraction of a second....as if it tried to start but didn't managed.
I'm using Mint 12, 64 bit.

Any suggestions of what may have happened...or happens?

Cheers
olliegab

Postby nelz » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:51 pm

That script is only for converting the LXFDVD on which it resides to a USB-bootable image. If you want to make an existing ISO image USB-bootable, you need the isohybrid program from the syslinux package. Install syslinux and then run

Code: Select all
isohybrid /path/to/file.iso

and it will convert the ISO imaqge in place, ready to be copied to a USB drive with dd.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby olliegab » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:55 pm

Thanks for your suggestions!
I tried it but got the following messages:

isohybrid: Warning: more than 1024 cylinders: 3716
isohybrid: Not all BIOSes will be able to boot this device

and it didn't give me "solution". It doesn't state that it won't be able to work...or at least that's how I interpret it!
The ISO file is the Gentoo 12 DVD download, which is a fairly large file!

Or...?
olliegab

Postby nelz » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:20 pm

That's a warning, not an error. It is not stating that the procedure failed, only that some older BIOSes cannot boot from such a device. Since this depends on the computer and not the ISO file, the only way to test it is to dd the file to a USB device an try it.

AFAIK the Gentoo discs are already hybrids, but running isohybrid again shouldn't do any harm.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs