Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Linux Mint 12 Install Issues on Lenovo W520

View previous topic :: View next topic  
devwillie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Linux Mint 12 Install Issues on Lenovo W520 Reply with quote

I'd like to make my new Win 7 Enterprise (work) laptop a dual boot using DVD 154. I have admin rights on machine and shrunk the only partition so I'd have some room. Booted using DVD and attempted install but received BusyBox msg:

(initramfs) Unable to find a medium containing a live file system.

Saw that others had similar problems but with USB 2/3 or old machines being the blockers--not so for me using DVD & a new machine.

Then created a new partition but didn't choose a fs format. Partition was generated fine with plenty of space. Same result.

I'd be willing to serve as guinea pig for the new W520s. Please advise.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like Mint can't find the file containing the live root filesystem on the DVD. Try booting the DVD in another computer and see if you can get a Mint desktop on that one.

Booting the DVD doesn't install anything, so it's safe to try it on another system.
devwillie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:59 am    Post subject: Able to get Mint Desktop w/ DVD Reply with quote

Hi,

Yes, I was able to get a Mint desktop on another machine. I did have to change to boot order around to get it to work so perhaps that's what I need to do on the W520? My success came with my small Acer Aspire One. I'll probably put LM 12 on it once I get it going on the Lenovo--haven't run a Linux distro since Xfce 8.12 on my Compaq Armada. I'm hoping the device support will be better now! Smile The Armada is still going strong but I'd like to have some sound.

Do you think switching the boot order around so DVD is 1st might do the trick on the Lenovo? Tx.

-Will
devwillie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Same result Reply with quote

On W520...Same BusyBox msg as before. Booted right from DVD fine. Maybe try downloading a 64 bit LM 12 ISO and put it on a USB stick? I wanted to check out the cool stuff on the DVD, though. Do you have any suggestions...can I run a trace to diagnose the issue?
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the other distros on the DVD boot correctly?

Do you have more than one optical drive in the computer? (I've seen errors like this where the distro looks on the wrong drive)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: