iso image of linux distros for usb

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby nelz » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:29 pm

Were you running from a terminal? If so, you should have at least seen a "command not found" error. The reason I used dialog was that it was present on all the live distros on the DVD, so everyone can run it.

Yes, the script needs some error checking, but that should be done with which rather than looking in a specific location, but that's a job for the full time disc editor should he wish to proceed with this method. dvd2usb.sh was more a proof of concept.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Re: dvd2usb

Postby derrickr » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:24 am

ulysses768 wrote:dvd2usb didn't work at first for me. The command produced no output whatsoever. After reading through dvd2usb.sh, I saw that I needed to install dialog, which is not installed by default on Mint or Ubuntu. With dialog installed it worked perfectly.

If I might humbly suggest: perhaps the script should check /usr/bin/ for dialog and report to stdout.

Here here :)

Also, I couldn't find 'dialog' on the DVD, so executed: 'sudo apt-get install dialog'. The script then ran fine.

Appreciate it's a proof of concept & thanks to all for the good work!
derrickr

Previous

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs