colour Laser Printer for Linux

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

colour Laser Printer for Linux

Postby BanAnna » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:07 am

I am looking for a colour laser printer that works on Linux without any problems. Price should be max. $Au300. I have been googling this already and checked the Linux Foundation site, but it is very time consuming to find out the price and availability over in Australia. I would appreciate a recommendation from someone who actually runs a decent printer. :)
BanAnna

Postby roseway » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:45 am

The Canon MF8030Cn works well with Linux, and the quality isn't bad. You need a strong back (or a fork lift truck) to move it though, and the first print is slow to emerge.
Eric
roseway
LXF regular

Postby Bruno » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:24 am

Firstly, a warm welcome to LXF forums.

I can't comment on whether or not one would meet your price point as I'm in the UK, but HP printers are generally considered to be of good quality and they play well with Linux thanks to the hplip package.
Bruno
LXF regular

Postby BanAnna » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:21 am

Thanx for the welcome. Glad to be here.
I have heard that HP printers are Linux friendly, but not all of them work perfectly apparently. That is why I am trying to find out if anybody actually has a good working laser printer. Never mind the price for now. It is very hard work to just get a printer going sometimes. I had a Fuji last and ended up just being able to use it with XP. I am dual booting, but hardly ever use M$ at all any more.
BanAnna

Postby GregS » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:58 am

Agree about the HP.

They just work...and hplip is included in most distros these days.

By contrast, my Canon experience (with an inkjet) involved days of searching for a .ppd (in Japanese...) and having to troll the fora to locate a how-to to modify it to work with my model.

May have been cheap at Dick Smith's but wasn't worth it. It only works about 80% of it's capacity under Window$ at best now.
GregS

Return to Hardware