Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Problem with signature

Postby migrating_to_linux » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:12 pm

When I tried to change my signature I saw this message:

“Nice try, spammer. If you register, your account will be deleted. Go away.”

I don’t get it.
migrating_to_linux

Postby nelz » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:23 pm

Were you trying to add/edit a link? Spammers commonly set up an account, make a couple of pointless posts and then change the sig to contain a link a short while later.

Not that I'm trying to imply your posts are pointless, but adding a link to a sig post-registration is frowned upon.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby migrating_to_linux » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:36 pm

I wanted to edit the link in my signature. I've had the same link in my signature since I joined this forum in 2008.
migrating_to_linux

Postby Ram » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:53 pm

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby migrating_to_linux » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:18 pm

@ Ram
Thanks for the link. I guess that explains the issue I encountered. But it makes no sense, people have links in their signatures right now. Borking the edit function prevents nothing. If I were a determined spammer I could point my DN at another site without editing my signature.
migrating_to_linux

Postby Rhakios » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:21 pm

I suspect that all those who had signatures with links before the new ruling came in can keep them, but that the board software is not capable of distinguishing between editing an existing link and creating a new one. Either way, it involves a link pattern being made in the signature field.
It is, of course, possible to delete the link completely and make do with a text comment of some sort. You could always try applying to one of the site admins to update your link if it's really important to you, but it would need to be an admin as moderators don't have sufficient access.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Gonzalez Rivera » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:37 am

What type of criteria uses by admin to check Spam posts. I am not spammer but i wished to participate in forums to get knowledge and share my personal experiences with my community. Signature is an option which uses by some members and it is an important part of forum membership.

SEM Consulting
Last edited by Gonzalez Rivera on Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gonzalez Rivera

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:33 am

Gonzalez Rivera wrote:What type of criteria uses by admin to check Spam posts. I am not spammer but i wished to participate in forums to get knowledge and share my personal experiences with my community. Signature is an option which uses by some members and it is an important part of forum membership.

Yes, you can have a signature, just not with a link in it.
This because when you change your signature, it is updated on all of your posts at the same time, which is why it is used by spammers.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:02 pm

Further to this, moderators, like myself, follow posted links to check if they are relevant, linux-related and preferably not commercial. It's usually pretty obvious if spamming is being attempted.
Edit: Indeed, very obvious on some cases. :roll:
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Return to This Website