Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Naming a Project - LxF 155

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nuke
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Naming a Project - LxF 155 Reply with quote

I completely agree with Mike Saunders about the care needed when naming a project [Re: Running a Project - What's in a name?].

I don't think "Gimp" is that bad a name though. It does sound like an umbrella used as a walking stick for a limp, but at least we know how to pronounce it. Further bad names are "Linux", the Commodore "Pet" (from what it means in French) and (a bit off topic) the Ford "Pinto" car (for what it means in Spanish). Anything with "free" in it is also pants as it causes so much argument and misunderstanding.

A good name: when George Eastman thought up "Kodak", a word that rolled off the tongue, he checked that it would be pronounced consistently in the main languages and had no prior meanings. OTOH I firmly believe that most OSS project are named in a kind of auction during a team heavy drinking session, with hilarious input from pub bystanders.

Naming a project after the founder [Linux, MikeOS] might seem egotistic, but also makes the project sound small, and that contributions from others are not welcome. If that is the case, then fine; if not, the name will always be a millstone. At least outside Scandinavia most people would not realise "Linus" is a man's name or that Linux is connected with it. Like I did not realise that the "Ford" on cars was someone's name until I was in my teens.

And Mike, how do you pronounce "MikeOS"? Mike-Oh-Ess? My-koss? I guess not Mickey-oss.

As for Linux, I persist in pronouncing it "Line-ux". That follows normal pronuciation in English, the prevalent world language, (as in "diner" vs "dinner"). Some people tell me that, because of "Linus" (Scandinavian pronunciation I gather) I should say "Linnux" - but it sounds cheap, little and tinny, like a company that makes the toys inside Xmas crackers - but doesn't Linus himself pronounce it "Leen-ux"? That is just hideous. Linux had grown bigger than Linus, so can't we think up a new name, a good one this time?
evilnick

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

normal pronunciation?

Dearest creature in creation,
Study English pronunciation.
I will teach you in my verse
Sounds like corpse, corps, horse, and worse.
I will keep you, Suzy, busy,
Make your head with heat grow dizzy.
Tear in eye, your dress will tear.
So shall I! Oh hear my prayer.

Gerald Nolst Trenite (1870-1946)
Rhakios

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a rough draught of a poem, off the cuff as it were, is here where you meant to put it, you meanie?!
towy71

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhakios wrote:
Looks like a rough draught of a poem, off the cuff as it were, is here where you meant to put it, you meanie?!
Blue meanie??

I learnt from birth that my berth is nearest the hearth and pronunciation is an arse Rolling Eyes
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Naming a Project - LxF 155 Reply with quote

Nuke wrote:
And Mike, how do you pronounce "MikeOS"? Mike-Oh-Ess? My-koss? I guess not Mickey-oss.

I say Mike-Oh-Ess -- the "OS" part is in capitals so I've always assumed people would spell out those letters. I still kind-of regret the name though...

M
evilnick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the good -OS names are gone I think, or the rest have issues

erOS (wouldn't came anywhere near top in a google search)

cheeriOS (trademark issues)

Mr.PopadopoulOS (too greek)
Rhakios

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChaOS?
<a few google-seconds later>
Oh, I see it's taken.
RidiculOS?
Ohh yes, that's should be mine. Very Happy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: