Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fedora13 Adding access to parallel port

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cagere

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Fedora13 Adding access to parallel port Reply with quote

Hi . I am trying to get an old parallel port printer (Canon BJC7000) to work on fedora13 but when I go into the add printer routine I am not offered an option to choose the parallel port. On another machine running fedora12 there is this option, but I need to get the printer working on the fed13 m/c.
Any suggestions welcome. Cagere
ferrari
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this will be because the 'lp' driver is no longer loaded by default at boot. Instead, for configuration purposes you can load it manually
Code:
modprobe lp

You can make this persistent by following the advice here:

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/12/html/Deployment_Guide/s1-kernel-modules-persistant.html

or alternatively

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=266750
Cagere

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Thanks Ferrari for your interest and any others who looked. I have solved the problem but am now having problem with a (Ferrari)red face. The motherboard in question was a fairly recent Asus M4N68T-m LE V2 which was in a machine purchased second hand via e-bay. It suddenly dawned on me that I hadn't checked the bios for any problems. Guess what! Both the parallel and serial ports were disabled(DUH). I suppose the previous owner was using a USB printer. Having sorted the printing problem I then set to configuring the machine for my 75 year old Sister in Law. Everything was working fine until yesterday morning when it complained of a keyboard error at boot time. This was followed on subsequent boots with an assortment of error messages.Eventually it did boot and looked fine so I left it running while I had breakfast. When I returned it had gone off and this time it didn't even start the fans etc. The only sign of life being the green standby warning LED. First thought was a power supply fault and as I had a spare I tried that with the same result. I checked the spare using an old M/Board and it was fine. So was the original, so I am now waiting for a replacement M/board. What Fun!!

Cagere in wildest Norfolk UK
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: