Cinnamon is coming

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Cinnamon is coming

Postby tandyn » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:46 am

Has anyone tried Cinnamon (http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/) yet? I have read Linux Mints blog on it and it used it for a bit in VB. It looks like it is shaping up to be what Gnome 3 should have been, imho.
I love whisky and candy corn, but not at the same time.
tandyn

Postby SpecialStuff » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:59 am

Looks interesting, but for me Gnome 3 + Shell is awesome on its own.
SpecialStuff

Postby chris0161 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:59 pm

Have tried Cinnamon and it looks like a step in the right direction for those who want a more traditional desktop layout.

However one of my main problems with Gnome 3 is it breaks Compiz and as Cinnamon is a fork of Gnome 3 it will not fix this (although lead developer Clem is looking into this I believe)

I still can't believe the developers of Gnome 3 built a new desktop which breaks Compiz.

Decided last night I've had enough of Gnome/Unity for the time being and going over to Linux Mint 12 KDE as KDE has Compiz type features built in.

Not putting the Gnome 3 team down, fair play for trying something new, its just not for me. I miss the cube and wobbly windows.
chris0161

Postby Rhakios » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:03 pm

Yes, I've tried it. It seems pretty usable, though it seems I don't understand how multiple desktops work any more... something I'll need to look into.

Edit: still don't understand it, it seems that I am not allowed to control how many desktops I have and what applications I have on them... back to XFCE.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby tandyn » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:24 pm

Hopefully they get the Compiz and desktop switcher worked out. XFCE is OK but it isn't working out for me. I do not like the feel of Gnome 3 and shell but I do like the progress that was made with it. I am not a stickler for 'the old way', I just like less mouse clicks to get where I want to be. If I was, I would still be using the command line for everything. Hope to see good thinks come out of this project, he did good with Mint, FTMP.
I love whisky and candy corn, but not at the same time.
tandyn

Return to Discussion