Hi nelz...

"Hires Video"...

WOW!

Bazza, G0LCU...

Team AMIGA...
Bazza
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:51 pm

That's one thing, not the only thing but you asked for one. The display quality on my tablet is much better than on my netbook, and that is an important factor for many users.

Heck, even the iPad's display, despite its 20th century resolution (4:3 these days? Come on!) is better than my Samsung netbook.

Some people do actually spend more time watching video on their devices than programming Arduinos :P
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Bazza » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:05 pm

Hi nelz...

> That's one thing, not the only thing but you asked for one.

No, it does older technology better! It is not something that
my netbook cannot do. Plus if you wear glasses or any other
eye assistance then that defeats the object of Hires; <insert
serious colour fringing and image distortion here>...

> The display quality on my tablet is much better than on my
> netbook, and that is an important factor for many users.

Ah yes I forgot, youtube video at 360 and highly quantised,
a great use for Hires...
Do you wear glasses for long periods? (If you do then you will
know that a softer image is less tiring to the eyes; again it
defeats the object of Hires.)

> Heck, even the iPad's display, despite its 20th century
> resolution (4:3 these days? Come on!) is better than my
> Samsung netbook.

Again new for old technology, it still does NOT do anything
my netbook can't and my netbook can easily view video at
360 and highly quantised...

> Some people do actually spend more time watching video
> on their devices than programming Arduinos :P

Ahh but it is fun and isn't that what home computing is all
about?
AND, getting back to topic when will I be able to program my
Arduino using an iPad? Which after all IS partially BSD.
My PCLinuxOS netbook can do it, easily.

Bazza, G0LCU...

Team AMIGA...
Bazza
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:37 pm

I started wearing glasses in 1968, yet I can see the different between a 1280x800 display and a 1024x600 one. There is a lot the tablet does that a netbook either cannot do or do as well, and the converse it true too. None of this negates the place for either.

After all, neither of them can match the 3200x1200 display of my desktop, not the massive performance advantage, but I can't use that on the train. A tablet is portable enough to be good to use in a car.

BTW, who mentioned YouTube? I was thinking of TV programmes recorded in HD. For crappy YouTube videos, not the HD ones, a phone does the best job as the screen is too small to show most of the artefacts :)

If it were possible to connect an Arduino to an iPad, the cost of the custom connector would probably be more than the Arduino. OIn the other hand, it is already possible to connect Android devices with Arduinos.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

How delicious

Postby Bruno » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:59 pm

If it were possible to connect an Arduino to an iPad, the cost of the custom connector would probably be more than the Arduino.

A ha, oh how delicious! That's Apple for you, well done nelz.
Bruno
LXF regular

Postby Haakin » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:14 pm

English is not my mother tongue. So, be ready to read bad grammar and limited vocabulary :-(
Haakin
LXF regular

Re: Linux 2013

Postby Nuke » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:27 am

madoba wrote:This article makes no mention of Linux moving to tablet PC's. To me this is where the PC market is moving in 2012. ...

After reading the article linux 2013, the article will be obsolete by 2013.

You will be welcomed in the Hall of Fame of all those who have said "From today xxxx will be replaced by yyyy !"

[Warning - car analogies] You will find yourself with those who said the people carrier will be the only type of car anybody will need in future ditto the Austin Mini and, more recently, the tiny electric car that folded up like a deckchair.

There will be Paul Delaroche, the painter who when he first saw a photograph in 1839 who said "From today, painting is dead!". There will be those who said it about tinned food, then frozen food. They said it about self-tuition courses on LP records. They said it about those 1980's "fag packet" digital camaras, then mobile phone cameras.

Some of these things were successes (frozen food) and some failures (deckchair cars) but they supplemented and did not replace their predecessor. You can still buy fresh food, SLR cameras, and get tuition in classes.

What possible reason could there be to dislike?

Only photo editing, word processing, viewing films, reality games, spreadsheeting, looking at detailed diagrams, having more then one window open, or anything you want to be doing sitting comfortably at a desk or table as opposed to standing in a train. That is without even mentioning geek things like developing.

You are also forgetting silver surfers. A generation who grew up with PCs is approaching the age (40+) when people find eyesight problems. They need a big screen for a decent-sized font.

You are failing to recognise a distinct new market area and assuming instead that it will replace an existing one. Certainly there are many people who bought a home PC to see what the fuss was all about, but now only need the web and Facebook, and these may find their PC falls into disuse. But the remaining market for desktops and laptops will be vast, far bigger than just the early "geek days", and too big for the likes of Ubuntu and Gnome to be ignoring.
Last edited by Nuke on Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nuke
LXF regular

Postby Nuke » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:43 pm

madoba wrote:
Another point, why would poor developing nations want to adopt old bulky linux computers for the classroom, when they can get a slick cheap tablet

So they don't soon go walkies out of the classroom door?
Nuke
LXF regular

Previous

Return to Discussion