Develop apps using HTML5+CSS3+Javascript

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Develop apps using HTML5+CSS3+Javascript

Postby Haakin » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:43 pm

Hi!

I think that this could be a good tutorial(s): Development of mobile apps using HTML5 + CSS3 + Javascript.

HTML5 seems to be a hot topic almost everywhere. I could imagine the cover, "Develop iOS apps using Linux and HTML5!". I believe that this could be quite appealing for several (new) readers.

I'm a little biased here (I'm an iPhone owner), but you can focus on Android if you think is better. The good part is that the apps should work in both platforms (if I am right) and you don't need to care about markets or approvals by some evil company in Cupertino...

What do you think? A good idea?

Javier
English is not my mother tongue. So, be ready to read bad grammar and limited vocabulary :-(
Haakin
LXF regular

Postby johnhudson » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:40 pm

It doesn't matter what device you focus on; HTML5 is intended to fallback gracefully if the device's browser does not support a feature.

As I understand it, HTML5 only provides a framework within which you can run an app - the actual app could be written in Javascript or another language supported by the browser.

It would probably be helpful to focus on a particular feature such as geolocation.
johnhudson
LXF regular

Postby jonrob » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:28 am

Haakin -

I think that's a great idea, especially since I've been teaching myself HTML5 and Javascript recently too (and I already have a project in mind to base the article on!).

It might take a few months for us to have the time and space, but I'll speak to the rest of the team and see what they think about doing something like this :-)
jonrob
Site admin

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs