Reinstalling Windows

Help and discussion about non-Linux operating systems

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby TheWizardofOdds » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:09 pm

How about this?

Important:
Based on your feedback, we've determined that software updates may be available for your Realtek device .

Confirm and download available updates using the update utility Hardware Helper Desktop via the download link below
Once downloaded, Hardware Helper automatically detects and connects you with the applicable updates for your device

Next: Click on Start Download and then Run to launch the utility.

Start Download

Hardware Helper (6.5MB download) is compatible with Windows 7, Vista and XP. This download identifies missing or out-of-date device drivers. Registration is only 24.95 GBP and highly recommended for automated driver updates & backups.

What You Need to Know About Keeping Your Hardware Up-to-Date

Drivers are typically a package of small files designed to help Windows communicate with various hardware devices on your computer. This communication is what enables everything from your keyboard and monitor, to your computer's internal sound card to work properly. When these drivers become outdated or corrupted, you may notice your hardware start to malfunction or even stop working entirely.

With the average computer having dozens of different drivers, maintaining, updating and backing up can be time consuming and frustrating.

That's where Hardware Helper comes in. Hardware Helper Online uses your feedback to help evaluate your device issue and provide recommendations for successfully updating your hardware.

Driver updates from most manufacturers are provided at no cost, but they're often difficult to locate and match to your device. Hardware Helper locates updates for your devices automatically, backs up your drivers for quick reinstall, and automatically notifies you when new updates are released for your drivers, bringing true convenience to keeping your devices up-to-date. You will be given the option to register the product for £24.95 to enable access to these features for one full year. Hardware Helper is a 6.5 MB download and is compatible with Windows 7, Vista and XP. Every Hardware Helper purchase is also backed by our full 15-day money back guarantee.

Or is it Horseschitt?

I got the Motherboard info from the HP website I think it's a Realtek number. Would this do the trick?
TheWizardofOdds
LXF regular

Postby Ram » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:42 pm

You are duel booting this machine.

Run this from a a linux terminal

Code: Select all
dmesg | grep 'Ethernet driver'

This should identify the model

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby TheWizardofOdds » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:48 pm

Ram wrote:You are duel booting this machine.

Run this from a a linux terminal

Code: Select all
dmesg | grep 'Ethernet driver'

This should identify the model

I don't seem to be getting anywhere with that command, Ram?
TheWizardofOdds
LXF regular

Postby TheWizardofOdds » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:23 am

According to the HP website my PC the Pavilion Slimline s3422 has an Irvine Motherboard. I've found some sites that have drivers, does this seem right?

WHQL-certified windows 7, vista, xp drivers for hp/foxconn irvine motherboard irvine-gl6e. Several game and application compatibility fixes. features, driver fixes and known compatibility issues.
HELP: After downloading the file, unzip the drivers to an empty folder.
NOTE: Don't forget to install chipset driver first, before intalling any other driver.
To install the driver double-clicking the "setup.exe" file.

I've downloaded the files but it comes up with error when I try to open them, I don't know how to go about downloading them on to a flash drive and then on to XP? Any advice, please?
TheWizardofOdds
LXF regular

Postby Ram » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:53 am

What's the error you get ?

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:49 pm

Ram wrote:What's the error you get ?

The error is Windows of course.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby TheWizardofOdds » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:36 am

Ram wrote:What's the error you get ?

This is what I get when I open the file:

Archive: /home/david/Desktop/15.45_nforce_winxp32_international_whql.exe
[/home/david/Desktop/15.45_nforce_winxp32_international_whql.exe]
End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not
a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. In the
latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
the last disk(s) of this archive.
zipinfo: cannot find zipfile directory in one of /home/david/Desktop/15.45_nforce_winxp32_international_whql.exe or
/home/david/Desktop/15.45_nforce_winxp32_international_whql.exe.zip, and cannot find /home/david/Desktop/15.45_nforce_winxp32_international_whql.exe.ZIP, period.

When it comes to downloading the drivers it just says save file. On the website it mentions unzip the file to an empty folder and then select setup.exe or something to install it. When I right click the downloaded file there aren't any options other than to open the file really and that is the message I get?
TheWizardofOdds
LXF regular

Postby Ram » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:38 am

To save it, right click and save as.

Save it to new / empty folder on an external drive or a flash drive.

Once saved you should be able to extract it from within Linux by right clicking it and selecting Extract Here, once done boot into XP and run the setup.exe file.

Ram
LXF regular

Postby TheWizardofOdds » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:28 pm

Ram wrote:To save it, right click and save as.

Once saved you should be able to extract it from within Linux by right clicking it and selecting Extract Here, once done boot into XP and run the setup.exe file.

Thanks Ram I'll have a go...
TheWizardofOdds
LXF regular

Postby TheWizardofOdds » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:06 am

Ram wrote:To save it, right click and save as.

I've managed to source all the different drivers I need, I think.

When I go to the page for the Chipset drivers it has a Download button. If I right click that, there is a drop down menu, the type that has Bookmark this link, Save image as etc. It has Save Link As...is that the one I select? When I do, A window appears that has 'enter name of file to save to', it says confirmation.php and to the left has menu with Desktop, File system, 4GB Filesystem (flash drive), etc. It also has a Create Folder button to the right of the screen.

Am I getting warmer? :lol:
TheWizardofOdds
LXF regular

Postby Ram » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:10 am

What's the page you are trying to download from?

Ram
LXF regular

Postby TheWizardofOdds » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:36 pm

Thanks for all the help I've received here. Job done!

It was far more trouble than it was worth of course. Now I can mysteriously play videos with 11.10. Which was part of the reason for installing Windows. In time I hope to be able to install iTunes and get my printer set up in Linux and I won't need Windows. :roll:

Cheers.
TheWizardofOdds
LXF regular

Postby TheWizardofOdds » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:42 am

I've got some Wordpad documents on flash drive that have text and graphics. I can see the text no problem but the graphics won't load? I also have downloaded Microsoft Powerpoint Viewer and can see the graphics on the ppt files I have ok. When I double click on the Wordpad files it states ' Unable to load graphics conversion filter '.

Does this mean anything to anyone?
TheWizardofOdds
LXF regular

Postby Steogede » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:57 pm

TheWizardofOdds wrote:I've got some Wordpad documents on flash drive that have text and graphics. I can see the text no problem but the graphics won't load? I also have downloaded Microsoft Powerpoint Viewer and can see the graphics on the ppt files I have ok. When I double click on the Wordpad files it states ' Unable to load graphics conversion filter '.

Does this mean anything to anyone?

The error message means that some program cannot load some conversion filter. But that isn't much use if we don't know what application is giving the message (many include this precise error message) or even what OS you are doing this in (I'll assume windows). Are you using Wordpad to open the file? MS-Word, if so do you have the conversion pack installed? Are you using Libre/OpenOffice? If you right click on the file, do you have any other options under 'Open with..', do any work?
Steogede
LXF regular

Previous

Return to Other OS