New Humble Bumble Rumble Bundle

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

New Humble Bumble Rumble Bundle

Postby Spangwiches » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:54 am

http://www.humblebundle.com/

It's really just Frozen Synapse (which is a pretty good game. Not quite as good as it should be with such an intriguing central mechanic, but pretty damn good).

But, if you pay above the average, you get a few games which were in a previous pseudo-bundle. Notably Trine which is both beautiful and very good. Really luscious 3D and it worked flawlessly for me (across 3 different distros).

Again, Linux users are paying the most. Doubling the Windows average, currenlty <3

Hope you don't mind my posting this here.
Spangwiches

Postby Brian Hunter » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:50 pm

I certainly don't mind you posting it. The Humble Indie Bundle has given Linux users some fine games, so they deserve much graditute (and cash as Linux users seem to be giving them ;))
Brian Hunter

Postby leke » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:38 am

Cool I never knew about this. I love how they do the stats too.
leke
LXF regular

Postby Spangwiches » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:58 pm

Only 1 day left!

I've been doing some rough calculations (very rough - I measured the angle of the Pie Chart on the Humble Bumble Bee page in Gimp) and...

Windows:
Average paid: $4.12
68% of sales (by number)
52% of money (by value)

Mac:
Average paid: $6.66
16% of sales
20% of money

Linux:
Average paid: $9.26
16% of sales
28% of money

Obviously this is so complex as to make trying to draw any conclusions difficult. The Windows Frozen Synapse client has been on sale for a while so there are fewer potential customers whereas the Linux one didn't exist before this bundle. There's also scarcity to think about - if games were more widely/frequently available on Linux then I'm sure the price Linux users would be willing to pay would drop.

Still, for any indie game dev it would be pretty dumb to ignore a market over half as valuable as the Windows one. And as more games become available I think there'd be a lot more Linux users - it was the main reason I couldn't make the switch for a long time (and the only reason I still boot to windows occasionally (I just can't get l4d2 running acceptably in Wine. And then there'll be Skyrim...)).

Also makes me wonder what the real percentage of Linux users is. 16% of sales (by volume) seems very high for 1-2% of the market. But the web counters keep pointing at 1-2%...

Anyway. Sorry. </blog>
Spangwiches

Return to Discussion