Facepalm

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Facepalm

Postby heiowge » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:17 am

My Brother in Law (who's been on Ubuntu for the last 4 years) finally bought himself a new computer. He wanted one for college.

What did he get? One of those lovely new eeepcs. Nice.

HOWEVER... he's sticking with win7 basic! He likes Ubuntu, but I think he's trying the shiny. Fair enough. Give him a month of viruses and spyware and he'll be back. That's why he had to switch to Ubuntu the first time. But he's gone and spent an extra £100 for MS office and Norton. On a 1GB RAM netbook! He says he's thinking of getting an extra GB of RAM, but he never talked to me before making the buy.

If he wanted games, I'd understand him using windows, but he's bought a netbook... :roll:

***edit*** hang on... won't they come on a disc? :lol:
i5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asus H87M-E motherboard, 8GB DDR3, 2GB DDR5 nVidia card, 2x500GB Seagate hd, Coolermaster 750W PSU running Mint 16 MATE and Win7

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:38 am

Nah! Most software can be got by download these days, indeed they seem to prefer distributing it that way (perhaps because if you don't do backups and write licence codes down, then they can sell it to you all over again).
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Ram » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:36 pm

Well I wouldn't have bought Norton, AFAIK it still uses far too many resources.

He can copy office of the CD to a USB stick and install it.

If he's at college he will have a student email address which he could have used to get student license for office for £40.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Return to Hardware