Mike's School of Linux

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Mike's School of Linux

Postby Bruno » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:40 pm

Hi All,

I've been meaning to share this with you for some time. I've really enjoyed Mike's eight-part School of Linux series (8th installment in LXF 148). I found each article to be a nice, bite-sized nugget of carefully written Linux goodness, with each article and the whole series having a logical pedagogy. From previous tutorials and answers in the magazine, I found that I was familiar with most of the commands covered but I couldn't make use of them. These articles have helped me learn how to use the commands, they started at the right level and took me further into the subject, filling in the holes in my knowledge.

I've often struggled with the previous Bash tutorials, as I didn't understand the aim of them or found subject covered to be quite esoteric. With Mike's series, I feel like I've learned about Linux via Bash and the commands used, rather than just learned about Bash and the commands in isolation. I heartily recommend to everyone to read through these if you haven't done so already. It's also great knowledge to have, as Linux is what unites every distro, so one needn't be reliant on having a particular distro's admin tools available when one is away from one's own systems.

Well done, Mike.
Bruno
LXF regular

Postby ScannerDarkly » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:41 am

And now we wait for Zsh.
Linux since Ubuntu 6.06.
ScannerDarkly

Postby nelz » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:07 am

There was a tutorial on Zsh last year, but for some strange reason, people still persist in using Bash.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby M-Saunders » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:29 am

Hi Bruno,

Thanks for the feedback, and I'm glad you found the series useful!

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby Bruno » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:53 pm

Hi Mike, thanks for your comments. Hi Nelz and ScannerDarkly, thanks for your comments too, I appear to be guilty of assuming Bash = the terminal/command line/shell. Perhaps now I could revisit the Zsh tutorial and get more out of it than on the first reading, thanks for the tip.
Bruno
LXF regular

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs