LXF electronic only subscription?

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

LXF electronic only subscription?

Postby Haakin » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:09 am

Hi!

I wonder if there would be possible to have an LXF electronic subscription. For some reason the magazine reaches me quite late. In the last months I find myself reading the pdf available for subscribers more and more. I almost haven't touch the last issues in paper. So, I would like to know if there is any chance that there will be an electronic only subscriptions. Naturally I'm thinking of a cheaper subscription.

Thanks and keep on doing such a great work,

Javier
English is not my mother tongue. So, be ready to read bad grammar and limited vocabulary :-(
Haakin
LXF regular

Postby ollie » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:59 am

This request has come around a bit quick this time :wink:

This gets requested every 8 - 12 months, usually from US based readers, and the answer is always the same. It is not economical to do a PDF/digital magazine. There are quite a few deceased "magazines" that have tried this model. As a subscriber, you have access to the PDF version of the magazine for free! It is available at the same time as the magazine is sent to UK based subscribers. The last few months have even been a single PDF for the entire magazine instead of a zip file with each article/section as individual PDF files.
ollie

Postby Rhakios » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:15 pm

Perhaps this topic could be made a sticky, with an official reply from the editor, so people don't feel the need to ask (until Future change their minds, when it can be quietly deleted).
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby bobthebob1234 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:05 pm

but it has to be asked every now and again.
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

electronic only subscription

Postby mdundas » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:30 am

I do find it ironic that the publisher is called Future Publishing, yet in this day and age of IPads and Nook Color, etc. that the business model is still bound in the past. A common theme every few months is also that people like the magazine but find it very expensive. I for one have to think long and hard to justify the expense (about 4 times what my digital only subscriptions of other Linux magazines) are here in Canada. I also don't use the print copy or DVD. I would think that a supply and demand curve based on price could justify a digital copy, but hey its your Future.
mdundas

Re: electronic only subscription

Postby donoreo » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:11 pm

mdundas wrote:I do find it ironic that the publisher is called Future Publishing, yet in this day and age of IPads and Nook Color, etc. that the business model is still bound in the past. A common theme every few months is also that people like the magazine but find it very expensive. I for one have to think long and hard to justify the expense (about 4 times what my digital only subscriptions of other Linux magazines) are here in Canada. I also don't use the print copy or DVD. I would think that a supply and demand curve based on price could justify a digital copy, but hey its your Future.
Future does research to see how many digital versions they may sell. Obviously that research says that there is no enough yet to justify it. Some day I am sure it will. That is just good business.
I cannot deny anything that I did not say.
donoreo
LXF regular

Postby marcus2004 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:01 pm

I thought i would jump in as well.
I thoroughly enjoy the magazine, but the cost for me to get it in Canada is pretty hard to justify as well as the long period of time to receive it.
I am not sure where the research was done, but with the age of tablets upon us I truly think more and more will be looking at digital subscription only options. Especially due to the fact that your general consumer of a linux mag is a tech oriented person.
marcus2004

Postby Rhakios » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:54 pm

I notice that T3, another Future publication, is offered in an iPad edition. Presumably the early adopters who buy T3 are seen as a promising market for this.
Now, if we all answer "yes" to the latest Open Ballot, and tell them we'll all be buying Android tablets this year, then perhaps they'll release an Android edition of LXF. ;)
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Dutch_Master » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:16 pm

Then again, maybe not... ;)
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

So long, farewell...

Postby vald » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:19 pm

After only one year, I haven't renewed my sub to LXF. Not once did I receive the magazine on time, and I had to constantly mail Future about issues not arriving at all.
No, I don't live in Papua New Guinea... I live in Dublin, Ireland, next door from LXF Towers. And the mailman knows my address well. For the past 3 years, he never failed to deliver the other Linux magazine, the one shipped from Munich, Germany.

I'll sign up in a jiffy for a digital sub, if one was available.
Until then, so long, farewell...

Val D.
In a world without walls and fences, we don't need windows and gates.
vald

Postby sanderton » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:39 pm

You can subscribe to an electronic edition of Linux Format here:

http://www.zinio.com/checkout/publisher ... =500363235
sanderton

Postby Rhakios » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:24 pm

sanderton wrote:You can subscribe to an electronic edition of Linux Format here:

http://www.zinio.com/checkout/publisher ... =500363235

Except that, sadly, you won't be reading it on your Linux box (unless you're running Windows in a VM, of course, which rather goes against the grain).

Edit: oh, I see you can now use it with Linux with Adobe reader (but only version 9, isn't it up to 10 now?) and only while on line.

Edit: Ooh-er there's a version that you can install that needs Adobe Air... give up now, while you still can. ;)
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Dutch_Master » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:14 pm

FYI: I also subscribe to Linux Journal and got an email the other day announcing that from the coming Sept issue (2011, issue number 209) LJ would be offered only in digital form... The standard issue would be PDF, but LJ also plans to offer an 'enhanced' version (sounds like HTML to me ;)) with interlinked stuff. Dunno what that would look like and cost, we'll see.
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:19 pm

Indeed, I've just been reading the story here. The most interesting comments, to my mind, are those that recommended changing the format, as the print format is not the easiest to read on a computer, phone or tablet screen.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby heiowge » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:13 pm

Yeah, I read about it here:

http://sixgun.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3809

(linux outlaws forum) from a disgruntled reader.
i5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asus H87M-E motherboard, 8GB DDR3, 2GB DDR5 nVidia card, 2x500GB Seagate hd, Coolermaster 750W PSU running Mint 17.1 MATE and Win7

HP mini, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 17 MATE
heiowge
LXF regular

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs