GUbuntu anyone?

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby Rhakios » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:17 pm

nelz wrote:Why do people use car analogies when they just don't fit?

Because it's the only thing they can think of in which they have the same sort of emotional investment?

Personally, I have always been inclined to see a car as a convenient A to B machine, but I understand that most other drivers do not feel the same.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby towy71 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:57 pm

much in the way that "yachting is a hole in the water into which you pour money" a car is a pit in the road ;-)
Whereas a desktop one builds an affinity to :roll:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby Ram » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:53 pm

Rhakios wrote:
nelz wrote:Why do people use car analogies when they just don't fit?

Because it's the only thing they can think of in which they have the same sort of emotional investment?

Personally, I have always been inclined to see a car as a convenient A to B machine, but I understand that most other drivers do not feel the same.

Getting from A to B in the easiest way... Much like I do with my desktop.

towy71 wrote:much in the way that "yachting is a hole in the water into which you pour money" a car is a pit in the road ;-)
Whereas a desktop one builds an affinity to :roll:

Affinity not Unity

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby guy » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:23 pm

I read somewhere that Linus Torvalds so loved GNOME 3 and Unity that he replaced his old GNOME 2 with xfce.

And I've known people hack rubbish bits off their car and weld properly-designed bits back on. The supersonic car had steering on its rear wheels only - they prototyped the idea on an old Mini first.

Funnily enough, I've known people do similar things to car analogies.

I'll get my coat ...
Cheers,
Guy
The eternal help vampire
guy
LXF regular

Postby PCNetSpec » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:45 am

Didn't Linus let fly some equally venomous rants about Gnome just before switching to it when KDE4 came out ? .. maybe he's just change averse, which seems odd if he's going to keep changing his desktop environment.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'... logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
Linux in the UK
The Linux Community Forum
PCNetSpec
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:48 pm

I like Unity immensely. :P

Funnily enough, after 20 odd years years of driving estate cars, I now drive a convertible.
2 reasons-
1. The kids grew up and left home, so for the two of us, it has a huge boot with the roof up, and is enjoyable in the current weather with the roof down.
2. As a director, I now get to choose what company car I drive :)

As with Linux, there are many makes and models to choose from, whereas Windows and Mac users only have a choice of accessories.
(Can anyone tell me why the "ribbon" and the equally rubbish windows 7 menu system are the only choice?).

If you have a Ubuntu server, what is the point of running a GUI?
Our Ubuntu servers at work are all managed with a combination of the command line and the excellent Webmin.

Nobody forces you to use any Linux distro, if you don't like it, try asking for your money back :)

p.s. We have run Linux desktops for our service clerks for the last 4 years. they recently moved from Ubuntu 10.04 to Ubuntu 11.04 with Unity, and they love it.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:16 am

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:(Can anyone tell me why the "ribbon" and the equally rubbish windows 7 menu system are the only choice?).

They aren't, at least as far as the menu is system is concerned, but other "shells" are third party. You wouldn't want to put independent developers out of business would you?
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:22 pm

I suppose that I should have said "the only choice that Microsoft offers"
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:16 am

I see someone has forked Gnome2, calling it Mate, for Arch Linux anyway. Linky to the forum announcement. I can't get to the project page, presumably it's been inundated with hits.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Previous

Return to Discussion