Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UK SORN... ;'(
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ollie
Moderator


Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:26 pm
Posts: 2749
Location: Bathurst NSW Australia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, sorry - by combined I meant that having the 3rd party insurance was a requirement of registration and stayed with the registered vehicle. The optional comprehensive insurance is also tied to a vehicle but can be transferred (usually with extra cost Wink ) to a new vehicle when you sell the "old" one. The UK TV shows seem to explain the insurance being tied to the driver, so people drive a car they aren't insured to drive. Confused

We just use the colours as an easy way to differentiate to between documentation required to complete the registration process. We also have a "blue slip" for vehicles that have been out of registration. For vehicles modified beyond "manufacturers specifications" you also need an engineers certificate.

I know we have unregistered and uninsured vehicles on the road but it doesn't seem to be the same problem as the UK.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nelz
Site admin


Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:52 pm
Posts: 8365
Location: Warrington, UK

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insurance can be linked to the driver, the vehicle or both, depending on your needs. The basic is one driver and one car, usually with cover for other drivers in "emergencies".

The trouble with insuring the vehicle is that it takes no account of who is to drive it, so the safe/lucky drivers subsidise the idiots.
_________________
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
guy
LXF regular


Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:07 pm
Posts: 1041
Location: Worcestershire

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nelz wrote:
Insurance can be linked to the driver, the vehicle or both, depending on your needs. The basic is one driver and one car, usually with cover for other drivers in "emergencies".

I suppose a given policy may be linked only to a driver, but that would be unusual in the UK. But any given vehicle must have some kind of policy linked to it - you cannot obtain a license for it without the associated insurance cover note specifying said vehicle. Most private policies link to both vehicle and driver.

Quote:
The trouble with insuring the vehicle is that it takes no account of who is to drive it, so the safe/lucky drivers subsidise the idiots.

Rather, it's the owner who subsidises the idiots. But then, since the owner is evidently prepared to let idiots drive it, that seems reasonable to me. Hello white van man.
_________________
Cheers,
Guy
The eternal help vampire
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nelz
Site admin


Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:52 pm
Posts: 8365
Location: Warrington, UK

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guy wrote:
I suppose a given policy may be linked only to a driver, but that would be unusual in the UK. But any given vehicle must have some kind of policy linked to it - you cannot obtain a license for it without the associated insurance cover note specifying said vehicle.


When did that change? Admittedly, it's been many years since I held such a policy, but as long as the policy in my name covered the vehicle in my name, I was able to tax it, even if the policy said "any vehicle owned by the insured".


guy wrote:
Rather, it's the owner who subsidises the idiots. But then, since the owner is evidently prepared to let idiots drive it, that seems reasonable to me.


If the insurance was tied to the registration, as in the post to which I replied, then the owner is paying for the possibility of idiots driving it, even if he has no intention of even allowing them to sit in it.
_________________
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
guy
LXF regular


Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:07 pm
Posts: 1041
Location: Worcestershire

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nelz wrote:
guy wrote:
I suppose a given policy may be linked only to a driver, but that would be unusual in the UK. But any given vehicle must have some kind of policy linked to it - you cannot obtain a license for it without the associated insurance cover note specifying said vehicle.

When did that change?

What I mean is, you need a cover note whose terms cover said vehicle implicitly if not explicitly (such as a hire company's blanket policy).

guy wrote:
Rather, it's the owner who subsidises the idiots. But then, since the owner is evidently prepared to let idiots drive it, that seems reasonable to me.

If the insurance was tied to the registration, as in the post to which I replied, then the owner is paying for the possibility of idiots driving it, even if he has no intention of even allowing them to sit in it.[/quote]
I did not tie the insurance to the registration but to the road tax and MOT. Those say nothing about who may drive the vehicle - the insurance policy reigns as supreme there as it does now. And nor did I say that the insurance fee would be a single national rate or cover a single set of circumstances - that's one reason the MOT centre needs to be an agency.
_________________
Cheers,
Guy
The eternal help vampire
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nelz
Site admin


Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:52 pm
Posts: 8365
Location: Warrington, UK

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see, so much the same as now, except instead of getting your insurance from an annoying nodding dog or opera singer, you buy it from Arthur Daley Shocked

I'd rather stick with the "do one job and do it well" philosophy and buy my insurance from an insurance company and my MOT from a test centre. You could cut down on bureaucracy by having the test centre issue tax discs, but that would mean allowing blank discs out in the wild, I can't see that happening.

While some streamlining is always possible, the cost of implementing it will always outweigh any saving made when government departments are involved.
_________________
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
guy
LXF regular


Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:07 pm
Posts: 1041
Location: Worcestershire

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nelz wrote:
I see, so much the same as now, except instead of getting your insurance from an annoying nodding dog or opera singer, you buy it from Arthur Daley Shocked

If Arthur Daley is already approved to issue MOT certificates, why can't he sort out our cover notes as well?

Quote:
I'd rather stick with the "do one job and do it well" philosophy and buy my insurance from an insurance company and my MOT from a test centre.

But then you probably prefer separate text processor, spell checker and page layout tools to LibreOffice Writer. Why do you use a monolithic kernel instead of HURD?

Quote:
You could cut down on bureaucracy by having the test centre issue tax discs, but that would mean allowing blank discs out in the wild, I can't see that happening.

What, alongside those untamed blank MOT forms you mean? Almost as bad as stacking them up alongside ravaging books of postage stamps at my local Post Office.

Quote:
While some streamlining is always possible, the cost of implementing it will always outweigh any saving made when government departments are involved.

Imagine the implementation costs we'd have saved is we'd stuck with stone tablets, bronze chisels and sacrificial sheep.
_________________
Cheers,
Guy
The eternal help vampire
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nelz
Site admin


Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:52 pm
Posts: 8365
Location: Warrington, UK

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because it's bad enough that AD can issue test certificates?

Yes, I do prefer a text editor to LibreOffice. And I use a modular kernel, the Linux kernel isn't really monolithic, and hasn't been so for many years. It's some sort of hybrid now.

You don't display an MOT certificate, and it doesn't state that you have (or at least had) insurance.

Sticking with stone tablets would have saved all the bitching about Unity and Gnome 3 Razz
_________________
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rhakios
Moderator


Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:18 am
Posts: 7602
Location: Midlands, UK

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nelz wrote:

Sticking with stone tablets would have saved all the bitching about Unity and Gnome 3 Razz


Well, yes, we do have silicon-based ones now, iPad, webOS, Blackberry or Android?

Wink
_________________
Bye, Rhakios
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Linux Format forums topic RSS feed 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group


Copyright 2011 Future Publishing, all rights reserved.


Web hosting by UKFast