Ubuntu versus Linux Mint

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Ubuntu versus Linux Mint

Postby Wilfoster » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:47 am

Just installed both Ubuntu 11 & Mint 11 from last two cover disks on Oracle Virtual-box.
Magazine comments about Unity desktop do not appear to me to be a problem as it is very easy to use gnome2 desktop (Ubuntu Classic), or any of the other desktops available.
I would agree that the Unity Desktop appears to go against the motto "If it ain't broke;don't fix it. Perhaps Linux mint is a tad more easypeasy to install. One grip I have with Ubuntu is I just don't Like the task bar at the top.
One comment I would make is that this type of highly automated system is fine so long as it works well. at one moment with Ubuntu; flash-player would not update correctly. Normally I would be happy downloading the tar archive & configuring manually, but it is a pain in the proverbial b*** finding the location of mozilla addons. Finding a Web page with instruction on how to install a LAMP server using tasksel was relatively easy & topping this up with installing phpmyadmin +webmin +usermin was also easy. Being very lazy I copied my firefox user profile from one installation to the other, because I had just got firefox as I like it. Pity there is not a multi row toolbar for seamonkey & a pity multizilla does not install easily on Seamonkey 2.???
Perhaps the mag is right & Mint will become the most popular distro, though Mint & Ubuntu appear to be much of a muchness: Very OK if you just want to put a working OS on a computer & not pay microsoft.
Wilfoster

Postby leke » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:44 pm

One grip I have with Ubuntu is I just don't Like the task bar at the top.

Right click on task bar > Properties > General tab > Orientation > Change to Bottom (or left/right) :wink:
leke
LXF regular

Postby Wilfoster » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:48 pm

Yeah, I do know how to change position of task bar, but I find it fiddly taking the thingies off the bar I don't want, before deleting it.
Wilfoster

Postby heiowge » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:55 pm

Wilfoster wrote:Yeah, I do know how to change position of task bar, but I find it fiddly taking the thingies off the bar I don't want, before deleting it.

How is Right click>remove from panel tricky? :?

...and surely if you're gonna delete it, you don't need to remove stuff first. :?
i5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asus H87M-E motherboard, 8GB DDR3, 2GB DDR5 nVidia card, 2x500GB Seagate hd, Coolermaster 750W PSU running Mint 16 MATE and Win7

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby ajgreeny » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:19 pm

heiowge wrote:
Wilfoster wrote:Yeah, I do know how to change position of task bar, but I find it fiddly taking the thingies off the bar I don't want, before deleting it.

...and surely if you're gonna delete it, you don't need to remove stuff first. :?

I totally agree! I've been using Ubuntu since version 5.04 or 5.10, I can't remember which, but I joined ubuntuforums in July 2005, so I imagine it was 5.04.

In that time I have always removed the top panel, and added the few applets I needed, which were then gone, to the bottom panel. I have never used the menubar, but always the main menu in order to save panel space, not unlike the Linux Mint system setup, though I can't abide the mint menu; give me an simple expanding menu system any time rathre than one which needs more clicks to get to the application I want.

As for the flash problem and other codecs you will want added to Ubuntu, I admit I have now been doing it for so long that it is the work of 2 or 3 minutes (plus download and install time, obviously) to add everything I need that is in Mint, but not in Ubuntu by default.

I have installed and used Mint almost since it first appeared on a separate partition and disk, just to compare, and for some reason I personally still prefer Ubuntu, though I find it hard to say exactly why that is the case.

Whether that will remain so after unity becomes the only option in Ubuntu, and the classic desktop is no longer available, ie Ubuntu 11.10, is another question. I think I shall probably end up still in the Ubuntu family, but using one of the alternative desktops; sorry, Ubuntu devs, but I simply can not get to grips with, nor learn to love unity, and from what I have seen of gnome 3 with gnome shell, I don't think I shall like that either.
Xubuntu 12.04 user, and loving it!
ajgreeny
LXF regular

Postby Wilfoster » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:53 am

ajgreeny wrote:
heiowge wrote:

I totally agree! I've been using Ubuntu since version 5.04 or 5.10, I can't remember which, but I joined ubuntuforums in July 2005, so I imagine it was 5.04.

In that time I have always removed the top panel, and added the few applets I needed, which were then gone, to the bottom panel. I have never used the menubar, but always the main menu in order to save panel space, not unlike the Linux Mint system setup, though I can't abide the mint menu; give me an simple expanding menu system any time rathre than one which needs more clicks to get to the application I want.

As for the flash problem and other codecs you will want added to Ubuntu, I admit I have now been doing it for so long that it is the work of 2 or 3 minutes (plus download and install time, obviously) to add everything I need that is in Mint, but not in Ubuntu by default.

I have installed and used Mint almost since it first appeared on a separate partition and disk, just to compare, and for some reason I personally still prefer Ubuntu, though I find it hard to say exactly why that is the case.

Whether that will remain so after unity becomes the only option in Ubuntu, and the classic desktop is no longer available, ie Ubuntu 11.10, is another question. I think I shall probably end up still in the Ubuntu family, but using one of the alternative desktops; sorry, Ubuntu devs, but I simply can not get to grips with, nor learn to love unity, and from what I have seen of gnome 3 with gnome shell, I don't think I shall like that either.

Well:- I just want one bar at the bottom, with all the bar item on it, so I move all the items from the bar I am going to delete, before deleting that bar.

More to the point: I have tried put a very great many Linux distros, and one thing I want to be able to do is set it up as I want it. I do not like the fact that on Ubuntu it is in fact unreasonably difficult to change all the default flash screens.
Basically I do want to be able to install Gnome; KDE: LXFE: and XFCE. I do not care if this is silly as far as most people are concerned. I have not had time to investigate whether Mint is as inflexible as Ubuntu in this respect. I still think Suse is my favorite distro. Fedora have made it very difficult to install Nvidea drivers, and even suggest one buys an Intel video card: OK we believe in free software, but that is just impractical!

However if I were to want to install linux on an old computer for one of my nephews or nieces, and they can accept the system as is; then Ubuntu or mint both fulfill that task admirably.
Wilfoster

Postby heiowge » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:02 am

I know what you mean. Recently I went through a crisis in that I didn't want to use Unity or Gnome3. I found it harder to switch desktops than distros. In the end I resorted to Kubuntu (Ubuntu with KDE desktop).
i5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asus H87M-E motherboard, 8GB DDR3, 2GB DDR5 nVidia card, 2x500GB Seagate hd, Coolermaster 750W PSU running Mint 16 MATE and Win7

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby Wilfoster » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:19 am

Well:- That's two points in favour of Mint.
Point1:- Definitively fairly easy to change wallpaper in all desktops (Gnome: KDE4Plasma: Lubuntu: LXDE: Lubuntu: Xubuntu: XFCE4) I've got installed on Mint11 installed on VirtualBox.Like if I want to have Karmic Plasma from xfge4 in all the desktops I can cos dats wot linux is about:you can do your own thing, even if its dotty
Point2:- Google Earth works OK : Could not get it to work on Ubuntu, & now Google Earth Photos work too. Difficult to remember, but somewhere they didn't.
Wilfoster

Postby heiowge » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:17 pm

Google Earth works just fine under (K) Ubuntu. I installed it just now in under 2 minutes.

heiowge
LXF regular

Postby lok1950 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:37 pm

Have you tried KDE's Blue Marble it uses Open Maps.I have found it useful still not as feature rich as Google yet but it works quite well.

Enjoy the Choice :)
lok1950
LXF regular

Postby heiowge » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:23 pm

Is the Blue Marble just wallpaper?

heiowge
LXF regular

Postby lok1950 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:27 pm

No it is a full open source version of Google Maps with some of Google Earth's Features as well and since the source maps have open source compatible licences they can be used a bit more creatively.

Enjoy the Choice :)
lok1950
LXF regular

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs