Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The things you do for love

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which antivirus for Win XP?
Sophos
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
AVG
35%
 35%  [ 5 ]
ClamAV
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Avast
21%
 21%  [ 3 ]
virtualbox with a read-only disk image
35%
 35%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 14

pastychomper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: The things you do for love Reply with quote

Much to my wife's delight, we've been given a pretty good second-hand PC walking Windows XP (she never got on with our now-dead Mandriva box, it's a long story). This means that not only do I own a Windows box for the first time in my life, I also get to administer one for the first time in over ten years. Wish me luck! Razz

I'm planning a full format-reinstall cycle to get it out of Walking Through Treacle Mode, as well as adding a few Linux partitions etc, and then comes the big question: what kind of antivirus would be best for a home setup?

The choice is between Sophos (my employer offers me a free home licence) and any of the free offerings such as AVG, but I can't find any recent reviews of Sophos. Does anyone here have any experience with it?
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can get sophos I would get sophos, just check if you will be able to administer it from home and that it will update from intertubes, not from company servers, otherwise they may have control!

otherwise avg
PCNetSpec
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For pure detection rates in free Windows AV, most seem to agree Avira Personal Edition is best.
http://www.virusbtn.com/news/2009/03_23.xml (for example)
even out performing commercial AV packages... though these results are bound to depend on what they throw at them, so should probably be taken with a pinch of salt.

But the final verdict here:
http://dottech.org/freeware-reviews/14151/avira-vs-avast-vs-avg-a-comprehensive-comparison-to-help-you-decide-which-free-anti-malware-security-software-you-should-use/
says it all... there is no clear winner... so take your pick.
Rhakios

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had Windows XP running in a VM and using AVG Free for quite some time. It doesn't get a lot of use, so it's been very little trouble.
Assuming your wife is a sensible surfer, then I would think AVG Free would be perfectly adequate, but if any kids come near the computer, then I'd look for something where you get proper support and add an anti-spyware app and perhaps an interactive firewall.
pastychomper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. She is a very careful surfer but that doesn't stop me being paranoid, especially given the amount of time the box tends to spend online.

Sophos would get its updates directly from the mothership, so that's my preferred option at the moment. Avira looks good but I'm slightly put off by the lack of behavioural detection in the free version. I might see about using AVG or Avira for the odd offline scan to cover the gaps (did I mention I was paranoid? Smile )
lok1950
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or run a scan with CLAMAV from a live CD.

Enjoy the Choice Smile
Marrea
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to be a big fan of the free AVG and installed it on all my Windows PCs after losing patience with Norton when it became steadily more and more bloated with each new version.

Unfortunately AVG seems to be following the same route and I have now removed version 2011 from my Windows machines after this latest edition recently started repeatedly popping up with various error messages, such as “Unspecified error occurred in AVG. Would you like to send diagnostic data to the AVG Technical Support department for further analysis?” I am not very keen on an AV program which reports "unspecified errors"!

I now simply rely (foolishly or otherwise) on the free Microsoft Security Essentials.
Alex01UK
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: The things you do for love Reply with quote

re: poll; none of the above. NOD32 from ESET.com is what you need. The only bit of Windows software I have ever paid for. And not because I use pirated software. As a former Software Engineer, I am very anti-piracy, and the same with music {I'm a Digital Musician now}. I refuse to download pirated music. I like to pay the ''artist'' responsible for the good work they have done. The only Windows Software I have bought is NOD32, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows XP Pro (I always used to build my own hardware using the best hardware I could afford that was available), and then Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, which is actually quite good, but that came ''free'' with my Laptop.....
--
Benjamin Kenobi.
www.newmatrixism.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MartyBartfast
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run Avast 'cos when it updates the sigs some sexy chick says "Avast virus database has been updated". Wink
Alex01UK
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MartyBartfast wrote:
I run Avast 'cos when it updates the sigs some sexy chick says "Avast virus database has been updated". Wink

I used to run aol cos Johanna Lumley used to read out that I had knew email! But then, I'm SAD... Wink Cool
--
Benjamin Kenobi.
www.newmatrixism.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rhakios

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And this thread is only two years old Rolling Eyes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Other OS All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: