Well, after far too long, I'm going to try and get back into this blogging lark. I used to like they way our blog was a tiny portal into our world, and I'm going to try and make more of a commitment to it. I'm going to attempt a post every Monday morning, because I think I need that kind of stimulus. And this way, I can write something while I quickly drink a few cups of terrible coffee from the terrible coffee machine in our office (but yes, at least we don't have to pay for it).
This week I want to share a configuration file that I've used for years and other people might find useful. My Linux setup at home, currently running Fedora, uses two cheap LCD screens from Hanns-G. The model name is HW191D, and while the image quality is fine, they're a complete pain to get running in tandem using the DVI connectors. It isn't inux to blame either, I've had the same problem getting them to work with OS X and Windows XP, and gave up with the over-protective Windows 7. The problem seems to be that the EDID data provided by the screens, when connected digitally, is inaccurate, giving the OS the false impression that they're only capable of 1024x768 when they're much happier at a native 1440x900.
This solution is only going to work for people using Nvidia's proprietary graphics drivers, but I was able to get around the problem by injecting a working EDID file into the old xorg.conf file, and manually creating Monitor entries, as well as creating a TwinViewXinerama display so that both screens could be used side-by-side. This has worked for Ubuntu, Mandriva, OpenSUSE and Fedora, as they've each been installed on my machine. But you'll probably still need to change things like the mouse and keyboard configuration to suite your own hardware.
Next week, I'll reveal my working multi-touch configuration for the Samsung NC10's touchpad :)